You may be shocked at the title, but honestly there’s no reason to be! This is a very simple recipe, and anyone who follows a macrobiotic diet will have made this at least once. This is sweetened only with fruit juice and has no oil or butter. It is suitable for everyone. For most people, making the transition to a vegan diet results in intense sugar cravings. This is a gentle way of enjoying desserts and will stop you from reaching for the heavy sugar, egg laden cakes around you.
You can also change the fruit to use what’s in season. Here, I used strawberries as it is still hot in Saudi Arabia. If you’re in a colder climate, dried fruits and apples can be used too.
Strawberry Cous Cous
– 2 cups wholewheat Cous Cous (Biobest, Tamimi)
– 1 1/2 cups water
– 2 cups apple juice
– pinch of sea salt
– Sugar free jam
– 1 1/2 cups strawberries, washed and sliced. (Sprinkle some lemon juice on top too)
– Toasted Almonds, sliced
1) Wash your couscous and steam it (covered) for about 5 minutes.
2) Remove, put in a bowl and fluff.
3) Bring the apple juice, water, and salt to a boil for about 2 minutes.
4) Pour the hot mix all over the couscous and blend together. Separate the mixture into two.
5) Place half in a square/rectangle baking dish or a tart pan. Press it down to get a nice dense bar-like crust.
6) Spread the jam on top of the cous cous crust. Cover with the remaining cous cous and press down.
7) Decorate the top with the strawberries and toasted almonds.
8) Leave the cake to sand for about an hour before serving.
9) Enjoy to your hearts content!