Office 13, Home Offices
Intersection of Al Urbubah Street and Prince Turki Road
Telephone: +966 1 810 4111
NuYu opening hours:
SATURDAY to WEDNESDAY 9.30AM – 9.30PM
THURSDAY 9.30AM – 5.30PM
6 Months membership from SAR500 per month
12 Months membership from SAR400 per month
Ladies! There’s a new gym that opened in Riyadh recently, and it’s proving to be very popular. 🙂
The gym has a variety of machines, group exercises and personal trainers to help you achieve your fitness goals. I particularly like the aspect of group exercises, where you can exercise and also have the added benefit of socializing. I love Ashtanga yoga, and before this gym opened, I had an instructor who used to come to my house. But as the going rate of good private instructors starts at 150SAR per hour, costs can add up very quickly. Here, you have the added benefit of other group exercises besides yoga.
The only two things that could put people off from going is the price and the location – slap bang in the middle of traffic central! However, if you’re out during the day, traffic should not be a problem.
One of the biggest concerns among many expats is the extra weight they put on whilst in Saudi Arabia, especially if they’re new to the Kingdom. Of course, this weight is attributed to spending extra time at home, not being able to walk freely and just comfort eating. If you’re here for longer than a year, and you’re not working, I would really recommend joining a gym. It doesn’t have to be Nuyu, but any gym, so you get to experience an activity off the compounds/villas.
There are several other reasons to exercise too –
Exercise improves mood
Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. Think of the endorphins that your brain releases when you exercise. You may also feel better about your appearance and yourself when you exercise regularly, which can boost your confidence and improve your self-esteem.
Exercise boosts energy
Regular physical activity can improve your muscle strength and boost your endurance. Exercise and physical activity deliver oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and help your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. And when your heart and lungs work more efficiently, you have more energy to go about your daily chores.
Exercise promotes better sleep
Regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. Just don’t exercise too close to bedtime, or you may be too energized to fall asleep.
And for those of you want to work out now, I dare you to do the 100 Workout below. All you need is yourself and some space.
Now going back to NuYU, below you will find a brief overview of their classes and location. Please call NuYu for more information on their classes or to visit. I hope this inspires you to exercise!
Working out as a group is so much fun. It also increases your self-confidence, you meet new like-minded people, and it’s incredibly motivating.
- BODYPUMP™ – To tone up, you need to work your muscles with resistance exercises and that is exactly what this class will do.
- BODYCOMBAT™ – Fun, energizing and empowering. Unleash your fierce side as you burn calories, lose weight and re-shape your body.
- Spinning® /Group Cycle – Just because we live in a hot country doesn’t mean we can’t reap the amazing benefits of cycling.
- Step – For all you ladies looking to lose weight in a fun and friendly class, step this way.
- LBT – (Legs, Bums and Tums) – This is the conditioning class for legs, bums and tums, using body weight exercise and light resistance to tone and strengthen.
- Circuits – Are you serious about changing your body? If so, this class is for you!
- CrossFit – CrossFit was founded on the basis of principal strength and conditioning programmes for many police academies and military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide.
- Zumba – These classes are an exhilarating, effective, easy-to-follow, Latin-inspired, calorie-burning dance fitness-party!
- Boot Camp – The Boot Camp class is designed for women who wish to do a full body workout and also build strength and improve cardio fitness. These are carefully programmed body weight exercises and therefore everyone can join regardless of their level.
- Body Pump Technique – This 15min instructor led, technique class is a must if you want to maximise the benefits of Body Pump. By getting the rifrightchnique, you will feel and see the toning and shaping benefits. Selecting the right weight and accessories, understanding the choreography to complete your classes more confidently and more comfortably.
Holistic exercise is designed for the whole person, as it’s a balanced workout that takes a broad view of fitness and the body. The phrase “getting in touch with mind, body and spirit” is a definition of a holistic approach. Yoga and pilates are the most common forms of holistic exercise.
Yoga is an ancient form of holistic movement designed to integrate body and mind. Our serene yoga studio and qualified instructors will help you to calm your mind and better understand your body. There are many different types of yoga for all levels of ability, which you can explore at NuYu.
- Hatha Yoga – Hatha Yoga is the foundation of all yoga. Classes vary from 60 – 90 minutes with level 1 for newcomers and level 2 for those who have practiced yoga before. Our instructors will guide you through ‘Pranayama’ (energy work) breathing exercises and asanas (yoga postures) to help improve your flexibility and restore balance in the mind and body.
- Ashtanga Yoga – Ashtanga Yoga is a more challenging and faster form of Hatha yoga. This class involves synchronizing the breath with a progressive series of postures. This type of yoga can improve body fitness and muscle tone, while simultaneously calming and de-stressing the mind.
- Dynamic Yoga – Dynamic Yoga (also known as Vinyasa yoga) links Hatha Yoga poses together in a graceful, flowing form of synchronised movements and breathing. It is more challenging than Hatha, and will strengthen and tone the body, improve overall body fitness and increase joint mobility and flexibility. The flowing movements also help to reduce stress.
- Iyengar Yoga – Iyengar Yoga uses blocks and straps to ensure correct form and posture in Hatha Yoga. It is great for beginners or those with injury and is a very ‘safe’ form of yoga.
- Pilates – Pilates has gained much popularity among celebrities, and is known to be one of the best exercises to flatten the stomach and strengthen core muscles.
Our international team of qualified personal trainers will assess your level of fitness and discuss your goals, before creating tailor-made workouts just for you.
It is a physical, psychological and emotional experience where you first increase your level of base conditioning before progressing to increase physical and mental strength. You will feel more confident, and be inspired and empowered to explore new methods of training. All personal training sessions need to be booked in advance at the reception desk.
To view their full timetable, click here.