On the 13th August, I started body brushing everyday. I initially started body brushing because I found it energizing. The short nights in Europe means that getting up in the morning can be a bit of a struggle. Body brushing woke me up and filled me with a serene energy. I carried body brushing diligently until today. It wasn’t until I compared the images of my skin that I noticed how smooth my skin looks now. I’m so grateful and happy!
Body brushing can activate your lymphatic system. The lymphatic system is important for eliminating waste and dead cells from our body, by transferring them to the bloodstream ready for elimination. Unlike the circulatory system, which uses the heart as a pump, the lymphatic system does not have a pump. Instead, it depends on the contractions of muscle, through body movement, breathing, exercise or manual stimulation, to push the fluid along the lymph vessels. Body brushing can help to encourage blood flow through the channels and clean out the metabolic waste that can build up in the tissues and lymph nodes.
Some of the benefits of body brushing include the following –
- Exfoliating the skin, which can improve skin texture and cell renewal.
- Increasing circulation, which aids lymphatic drainage.
- Reduces the appearance of cellulite
- It’s energizing – body brushing stimulates the nerve endings, which leaves you more receptive of the energy around you
- It’s a great way to start the day – body brushing in the morning helps you start the day doing something relaxing for 5 minutes.
How to Body Brush
- Begin my purchasing a natural body brush or loofah with a long handle. The bristles should be made from agave or another plant source. (Vegans, watch out as some of the body brushes are made from hog’s hair.)
- The ideal time to body brush is in the morning, before you shower/bathe, and on dry skin.
- Start with gentle circular, upward motions, then longer, smoother strokes.
- Work from your ankles in upward movements towards the heart. This is the direction that lymphatic fluid flows through your body.
- When body brushing the back, you brush from the neck down to the lower back.
- Start at your ankles and work your way up your legs, stomach, back and arms. Avoid any inflamed or cut skin, sores, breasts and genitalia. Also, again, remember to be more gentle with your strokes on your upper body. Your goal is to nourish and energize, not remove your epidermis!
- After body brushing, ensure you take a shower/bathe so you remove the impurities.
- Finish with a layer of coconut oil as a moisturizer.
Think positive vibes when you’re body brushing. If you find it difficult to think positive thoughts, express gratitude and add some of your favourite music to this routine. Starting the first 5 minutes of the day right can mean you have an amazing day later. (PS. Even if your day doesn’t go as planned, the effects of a bad day will impact you less! I can vouch for this!)